What is Phishing?
Phishing is a common and potentially devastating cyber attack that can have severe consequences for school of all sizes.
In a phishing attack, hackers use fake emails, websites, or other communication channels to trick people into revealing sensitive information or installing malware on their devices. This can allow hackers to access your school’s networks, steal sensitive data, disrupt operations, or hold the school’s ransom.
How to protect your school?
To protect your school from phishing attacks, you can take several key steps. These include:
- Educate your staff: One of the most effective ways to protect your school from phishing attacks is to educate your staff on how to recognise and avoid them. This can include regular training on the warning signs of phishing, such as suspicious email addresses or links, and teaching them how to report incidents. The Ark HQ™ can help you with our Phishing Training – Online Cyber Security Course.
- Implement strong passwords: Another critical step in protecting your school from phishing attacks is to implement strong passwords for all your accounts and devices. This can help to prevent hackers from gaining access to your networks and systems through brute force attacks or password guessing.
- Use multi-factor authentication: In addition to strong passwords, implementing multi-factor authentication (MFA) can provide an extra layer of protection against phishing attacks. MFA requires users to provide additional proof of their identity, such as a one-time code sent to their phone, before accessing their accounts. This can help to prevent hackers from gaining access to your accounts, even if they manage to steal a password.
- Regularly update your software and devices: Another important step in protecting your school from phishing attacks is regularly updating your software and devices. This can help to ensure that you have the latest security patches and updates, which can help to prevent hackers from exploiting known vulnerabilities in your systems.
- Consider cyber insurance: Another way to protect your school from phishing attacks is to invest in cyber insurance. This can provide financial protection in the event of a successful attack, helping to cover the costs of recovering from the attack and restoring your systems.
Protecting your school from phishing attacks is essential to ensure the security and integrity of your networks and systems.