How to keep records and files secure in your office!
How to keep records and files secure in your office – There are several requirements for schools to secure personal data. State, Federal and International Law (including GDPR) requires schools to implement appropriate technical and schoolal measures to protect personal data from unauthorised access, disclosure, and destruction.
There are several steps that schools can take to keep their files and records safe. Some of the key measures include:
- Implementing physical security measures: Physical security measures, such as locks and alarms, can help to protect against unauthorised access to files and records. These measures can be particularly effective when combined with other security measures, such as access control systems and CCTV cameras.
- Implementing access controls: Access controls can help to prevent unauthorised access to files and records by limiting access to authorised individuals only. This can be achieved through keypads on doors, security badges, or other forms of authentication.
- Locking filing cabinets – this is an essential part of any school’s data protection plan. They provide a secure and convenient way to store important documents, such as contracts, financial records, and personal data. By locking filing cabinets, school can protect their sensitive information from unauthorised access and prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.
- Implement a clear desk policy – i.e. a set of rules and guidelines that require staff to keep their desks free of clutter and unnecessary items. This policy is often implemented in office environments to improve the security of sensitive information and to promote a professional and organised work environment.
- Implementing secure disposal procedures: Implementing secure disposal procedures can help to protect against the unauthorised access of sensitive data that is no longer needed. This can include shredding paper documents, wiping hard drives, and securely disposing of other physical media that contain sensitive data.
Overall, there are many steps that schools can take to keep their files and records safe. By implementing physical security measures, access controls, and implementing secure disposal procedures, school can protect their sensitive data and ensure that it is only accessed by authorised individuals.
For more tips on how to keep records and files secure in your office, check out our GDPR Training Library.